Reed Boyd, President
Tom Quirk – TBD
Dennis Wright, Treasurer
Judy Canion, Assistance Treasurer
Tom Dodds, Secretary
TRAVIS COUNTY EMERGENCY SERVICES DISTRICT NO.
5: BOARD MEETING MINUTES, JANUARY 15, 2020
- CALL TO ORDER AND ESTABLISH A QUORUM: The meeting was called to order at 6:36 p.m. by
a. COMMISSIONERS PRESENT: All
b. COMMISSIONERS ABSENT: N/A
c. MFD MANAGEMENT: Chief Barron, Jennifer Seidel
d. VISITORS: Mary Wright, Tom Quirk ( new commissioner)
- MINUTES FROM THE DECEMBER 2019 BOARD MEETING WERE APPROVED: on motion by
Commissioner Canion and seconded by Commissioner Dodds. Motion passed.
- PUBLIC COMMENTS: Jennifer Seidel brought up the Social security withholdings from employees
payroll. Chief Barron will be in contact with proper authorities. We will also only be providing birthday
parties and station tours for In-District only residents.
- ESD TREASURER’S REPORT: Balanced Accounting and Financial Reports were presented by
Commissioner Wright. The reports were accepted on motion by Commissioner Dodds, seconded by
Commissioner Canion. Motion passed.
- MANCHACA FIRE RESCUE REPORT: Chief Barron presented the attached written report. Certain
PR Related Events:
• Pancakes with Santa
• 3 Birthday parties – **Due to overwhelming number of requests for hosting birthday parties at the
station, we have changed to policy to only allow parties for residents of TCESD5
• Annual Holiday banquet for staff and ESD
o No major updates/repairs
o New F150 truck due to be off the line toward the end of February
o New Trailer for UTV has arrived
o New UTV is still waiting to arrive at dealership
• Had meeting with land developer on Tuesday – we need to come up with some conceptual
ideas/drawings and he will work with us on location
• Well permit through Edwards Aquifer Conservation District applied for
• No updates on land next to SFFMA
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING WEBSITE/IT PERSONNAL – No action at this time,
Chief Barron still in process of researching for one.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING REAL ESTATE PURCHASE/LAND/NEW STATION. –
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING UPGRADING DEPARTMENT ACCESS CONTROL –
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING TRAVIS/WILLIAMSON COUNTY AUTO AID
AGREEMENT – New agreement has been distributed with some of the verbiage changed. The
agreement will be signed by Chief Barron. On motion by Commissioner Canion, seconded by
Commissioner Dodds. (see board packet for new agreement)
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING SUNSET VALLEY – As per attorney Ken Campbell,
TCESD5 still have some jurisdiction in the SV area – there is a interlocal agreement in place between
City of Sunset Valley and Travis County ESD#5 dated back to 01/26/2000. According to the calculations
from the attorney going back to 2002-2018, TCESD5 owes SV $22,434.57. TCESD5 will be inquiring with
our attorney on how to proceed and if we are able to get out of the agreement. Tabled.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING AUXILIARY GROUP UPDATES/REQUESTS OR
APPROVALS NEEDED BY THE BOARD. Auxiliary would like to request that we and/or the ESD sponsor a
team (boys & girls team) @$500/each. After we speak to the attorney to verify we can use tax payers $
to sponsor youth sports teams. On motion by Commissioner Boyd, Seconded by Commission Canion.
- SET AGENDA ITEMS AND DATE FOR FEBRUARY MEETING. February 13, 2020
- ADJOURNMENT: There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:05 pm