Reed Boyd, President
Tom Dodds, Vice President
Dennis Wright, Treasurer
Judy Canion, Assistant Treasurer
Tom Quirk, Secretary
TRAVIS COUNTY EMERGENCY SERVICES DISTRICT NO.
5: BOARD MEETING MINUTES, JULY 09, 2020
CALL TO ORDER AND ESTABLISH A QUORUM: The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Commissioner
a. COMMISSIONERS PRESENT: All
b. COMMISSIONERS ABSENT: N/A
c. MFD MANAGEMENT: Chief Barron, Jennifer Seidel
d. VISITORS: Staci George with Edward Jones
- MINUTES FROM THE JUNE 04, 2020 BOARD MEETING WERE APPROVED
- PUBLIC COMMENTS: Staci George with Edward Jones discussed some possible options of investment
of GFA, however at this moment for the ESD to do any type of investment (CD’s/Tbills) it would not be
beneficial due to the lowest interest rates. There is nothing at the moment she would be able to assist
us with but recommended getting with our bank.
- ESD TREASURER’S REPORT: Balanced Accounting and Financial Reports were presented by
Commissioner Wright. Treasurer’s report was approved. All in favor.
- MANCHACA FIRE RESCUE REPORT: Chief Barron presented the attached written report. Certain
**Medical calls of priority 3,4,5 are not being dispatched for FD response
PR Related Events:
• VFW flag retirement ceremony in front of station
• Photo shoot of station/personnel/apparatus for new website
• One full time firefighter/Driver/Operator recently moved to part time status – position was offered
and accepted by one of our part time staff that was next on the hiring list
o Traffic Pre‐Emption relocation project has not yet begun due to road blocks
o No major apparatus/station issues – Engine 501 to go to repair shop on July 8th to have roof repaired
o New wireless system installed in station to update the system and bring on new security standards
o Ordered new phone system to account for work from home scenarios, tele/video conferencing and
advanced calling features
• One crew member diagnosed with covid and was in quarantine for the length of time required covid
• One shift ran on a CPR call on a possible covid patient and are waiting results from CCC on if the
patient was diagnosed
• Bay Door repaired and new garage door opener installed
• Most of storage shed in rear of building complete – awaiting electrical to finish
• Station 502
o Engineers have been in discussion on project:
▪ ESD5 will need to become autonomous on utilities due to land developer not planning for buildout in
at least 3‐5 years
▪ New site is in the City of Austin ETJ and Edwards Aquifer Recharge Zone – this will have an impact on
costs and time frame for permits
▪ With septic and water well installation – this will drive up cost approximately $300,000 due to
possibly drilling to the Trinity for water well – this will drive up the impervious coverage needs to
approximately 11.5 acres
▪ Initial development will occur on the opposite side of the road where the station is planning to be
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING SHADY HOLLOW/MUD/FIRESTATION: No Action.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING LANDSCAPE AND TREE PROJECT: Table.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING FY20 BUDGET: FY 20‐21 Budget was approved on
motion by Commissioner Boyd, seconded by Commissioner Wright. All in favor.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING REFINACING STATION AND/OR PIERCE. Refinancing
of the station and the pierce with Government Capital were approved on motion by Commissioner
Boyd, seconded by Commissioner Dodds. All in favor. Resolutions were signed and dated.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING COMMITTING OR ASSIGNING FUNDS TO FROM
GENERAL FUND ACCOUNT. $4 MIL Resolution signed for assignment of funds from general fund
account for the development of the new station/building to come. On motion by Commissioner Boyd,
seconded by Commissioner Dodds. All in favor.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING FINANCIAL ADVISOR FOR TCESD5. See #3 – Public
- DISCUSSION AN DPOSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING ADOPTION OF TAX RATE FOR FY 20‐21. Discussed
the SB2 process, more updates to come. Tabled.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING AUXILIARY GROUP UPDATES/REQUESTS OR
APPROVALS NEEDED BY THE BOARD. No action.
- SET AGENDA ITEMS AND DATE FOR AUGUST MEETING. August 6, 2020
- ADJOURNMENT: There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:24 pm
Submitted by: Approved:
Tom Quirk, TCESD #5, Secretary Reed Boyd, TCESD #5, President