Reed Boyd, President
Tom Dodds, Vice President
Dennis Wright, Treasurer
Judy Canion, Assistant Treasurer
Tom Quirk, Secretary
TRAVIS COUNTY EMERGENCY SERVICES DISTRICT NO.
5: BOARD MEETING MINUTES, MARCH 12, 2020
- CALL TO ORDER AND ESTABLISH A QUORUM: The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by
a. COMMISSIONERS PRESENT: All
b. COMMISSIONERS ABSENT: N/A
c. MFD MANAGEMENT: Chief Barron, Jennifer Seidel
d. VISITORS: Mary Wright, Sherry Krupinski, Veronica Day with Maxwell Locke Ridder
- MINUTES FROM THE JANUARY 15 2020 BOARD MEETING WERE APPROVED
- PUBLIC COMMENTS: Sherry Krupinski went over Auxiliary items and status of events
- DISSCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION IN REGARDING FY20 AUDIT: Veronica Day went over the FY20
audit. Audit is in compliance, no issues. She mentioned that we should look into assigning/allocating
our funds to investments (i.e. land, buildings, etc.)
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING BUILDING IN BACK OF STATION: Chief Barron
provided several quotes and options to the board. The board agreed up to $80,000 for construction of
the building that will be used for storage and fitness center for the employees. On motion by
Commissioner Quirk, seconded by Commissioner Wright. Motion Passed.
- ESD TREASURER’S REPORT: Balanced Accounting and Financial Reports were presented by
Commissioner Wright. NO objection.
- MANCHACA FIRE RESCUE REPORT: Chief Barron presented the attached written report. Certain
PR Related Events:
• 3 Birthday parties
• Science day at Bailey MS
• CPR Class for Young Marines
• 2 additional officers completed the county wide Bluecard incident management class – 2 will complete the
class in March
• Hiring process of 6 part time personnel to start in March/April
• Applied for Department of Homeland Security grant for firefighter physicals for all personnel through a
regional CAFCA grant application
• Workers Compensation renewal is 04/01/20 – quotes from VFIS ( Tx Mutual) and Philip Corley with 7710
came in. 7710 was significantly less. This is an administrative decision to be made by chief .
o All hose, ladders and apparatus pumps tested
Tender 511 pump test failed – parts have been ordered and part of repairs completed
3 sections of hose failed
All ladders passed inspection
o No update on delivery of support truck delivery
o UTV arrived, skid unit installed – have had to order lift kit for rear shocks due to the weight squatting the
back end of the unit too close to the wheels
• Gathering input from local chiefs on what they would do different on a training building/station
• Additional water well paperwork needed and has been delivered to BSEAD. We are close to the
approval for the well in the front
• ESD 05 will no longer be responding to specific cases/calls that involve COVID-19 symptoms first – EMS
will be first to respond on specific cases
• Staffing – Contingency Plan – Admin staff work from home, temperature checks every 12 hours for ALL
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING SAN LEANNA 50TH YEAR CELEBRATION: All in favor with San
Leanna having their 50th anniversary celebration at the station in September 2020. No objection.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING WEBSITE/IT PERSONNAL – No action at this time,
Chief Barron still in process of researching for one.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING STATION AND ADMIN BUILDING FLOORING: Tabled.
Board asking for pictures/templates.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING APPOINTING A COMMITTEE TO DISCUSS
IMPLEMENTATION OF NEW ESD REQUIREMENTS (SAFE-D): Judy Canon recommended a committee
after the Feb 2020 Safe-D conference. This will consist of Commissioner Canion, Commissioner Dodds
and Jennifer Seidel. A list of the new requirements will be created and submitted to the Board for
consideration and/or implementation.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING AUXILIARY GROUP UPDATES/REQUESTS OR
APPROVALS NEEDED BY THE BOARD. No action
- SET AGENDA ITEMS AND DATE FOR APRIL MEETING. APRIL 2, 2020
- ADJOURNMENT: There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:33 pm