Reed Boyd, President
Oscar Juarez, Vice President
Dennis Wright, Treasurer
Judy Canion, Assistance Treasurer
Tom Dodds, Secretary
TRAVIS COUNTY EMERGENCY SERVICES
DISTRICT NO. 5: BOARD MEETING MINUTES,
October 3, 2019
- CALL TO ORDER AND ESTABLISH A QUORUM: The meeting was called to order at 6:30
p.m. by President Boyd:
a. COMMISSIONERS PRESENT: Boyd, Wright, Canion
b. COMMISSIONERS ABSENT: Juarez, Dodds
c. MFD MANAGEMENT: Chief Barron & Jennifer Seidel
d. VISITORS: Mary Wright
- MINUTES FROM THE SEPTEMBER 2019 BOARD MEETING WERE APPROVED: on motion
by Commissioner Reed and seconded by Commissioner Canion. Motion passed.
- Discussion and possible action on the adoption of Travis County Emergency Services
District No. 5 2019 proposed ad valorem tax rate of $0.10 per $100.00 of taxable
value, consisting of a debt rate of $.000 per $100.00 of taxable value and maintenance
and operation rate of $0.10 per $100.00 of taxable value. On motion by Commissioner
Boyd, seconded by Commissioner Canion. Motion passed.
- PUBLIC COMMENTS: N/A
- ESD TREASURER’S REPORT: Balanced Accounting and Financial Reports were presented
by Commissioner Wright. The reports were accepted On motion by Commissioner
Canion, seconded by Commissioner Wright. Motion passed.
- MANCHACA FIRE RESCUE REPORT: Chief Barron presented the attached written report.
Certain highlights follow:
Activities for the Month:
• 50yr Anniversary Party
o Outstanding turnout from community – estimate of 700 people
o Lots of positive comments and feedback
• Major brush fire on Estancia Parkway
o 34 Fire Apparatus
o Approx 80 firefighters
o 2 STARFlight helicopters
o 3 SEATS (Single Engine Air Tankers)
o 1 Air observation plane
o Multiple day fire – spent numerous days on the fire with hot spots, smoke
o Lesson’s learned:
▪ TCESD #5 has one brush truck – we rely heavily on others IF there is a major fire
• Recommendation – purchase of a ATV unit that has water/foam capabilities (unit can
also be used for search/rescue and other purposes)
▪ Cellular service was grid locked in area due to proximity to 35, numerous units on
• Recommendation – purchase cellular repeater system with extendable mast to be
installed on the battalion vehicle – this will provide improved cellular reception and
boost cellular signals from units on the scene
• Recommendation #2 – add additional AT&T Firstnet sim card to Chief’s cellular phones
for priority access
▪ Support personnel not having “clearance” to access the scene
• Recommendation – establish ID cards for support staff
▪ Vehicle – truck to be used for pulling UTV, personnel going to training, support
personnel bringing rehab supplies, and general supply runs for the department
• Recommendation – purchase of a dual cab, F150 or other manufacturer truck
• New Battalion vehicle
o Graphics, emergency warning equipment all being installed over the month
o Unit is now 95% complete and waiting on radio to be hooked up and programmed
• Pumper/Tender Delivered
o Few minor issues that are getting repaired by Lance’s fire truck repairs
o Working on getting truck in service, equipment moved over, radio/communications
o Once in service, training on truck, tender/water shuttle practices
• 2009 Engine 511 – Received offer from Bertram Fire Department to purchase vehicle
• 2006 Ford 250 – Received offer from Center Point VFD for $14,500 – Chief is asking for
approval for $15,000 (should know by 10/4/19)
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING STATION OWNERSHIP (STATION 503).
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING ORIGINAL STATION 501 Tabled –
Chief Barron in contact with Commissioner Daugherty and Bob Moore – working with
contractor of Menchaca Elem to see about W/WW extension, plot inspection (3.69
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING SUNSET VALLEY MATTER. Tabled.
Need a dollar figure, more information
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING ACCESS EASEMENT FOR PROPERTY
WEST OF SFFMA. No action. Tabled.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING ADDING TREES/WELL TO THE
PROPERTY. No Action. Tabled.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING CERTIFICATION PAY. Tabled.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING COMMISSIONER
REAPPOINTMENT/CE CREDITS. Commissioner Boyd, Wright, Dodds, Canion to remain
on the board. Vote passed to not reelect commissioner Juarez. On Motion by
Commissioner Boyd, seconded by Commissioner Wright. Motion passed.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING ANNUAL HOLIDAY BANQUET.
Manchaca Fire Auxiliary will be assisting in this event. Event location and food have
been decided and MFA will continue to assist in the event planning. No action.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING STRATEGIC PLANNING: Motion to
have the session at Lost Pines on Nov 16, 2019 was passed on motion by Commissioner
Boyd, seconded by Commissioner Canion.
- DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION REGARDING AUXILIARY GROUP
UPDATES/REQUESTS OR APPROVALS NEEDED BY THE BOARD. Auxiliary has requested
a budget of $25k from the ESD. On motion to approve the 25k budget by Commissioner
Wright, seconded by Commissioner Canion. Motion Passed.
- SET AGENDA ITEMS AND DATE FOR NOVEMBER MEETING. November 7, 2019
- ADJOURNMENT: There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at